Monday, January 28, 2013

First Day in مغرب

I made it! I arrived in Casablanca a little before noon and met up with four other SIT students studying Rabat. We split the 90 minute taxi to Rabat (650dh or $55) and soon arrived at the Hotel Darna. After getting settled, we walked to the ocean and began exploring the winding, ancient streets of the medina or old city.

My first impressions of the medina was how much it met my expectations - the people, buildings, aromatic food smells, and general "overcrowdedness". I absolutely loved it. I noticed that most men made eye contact and greeted me warmly as I walked by, something my two female cohorts did not experience. 

By early evening, our entire study group of 56 students met up and toured the old city. We were brought to the Center for Cross Cultural Learning or CCCL, the SIT headquarters where we will take most of our classes. It was a beautiful, intricately decorated riad 5 stories tall with a gorgeous roof terrace and panaramic views of Rabat. The view was certainly the highlight of our first day. The SIT director, Abdelhay gave us a brief introduction to the program and city. He was unbelievabley warm and friendly. He introduced himself to me and, when I told him I went to Colgate, said ma'shallah, because it was on this exact roof that he had many wonderful conversations with Emilio Spadola, the Colgate professor who sparked my interest in studying North Africa and traveling throug SIT. It was the perfect start to my semester abroad.


Inside the CCCL

All of the other students on SIT are incredibly friendly, smart and adventurous like myself. I met kids from all over the US and the group is already quite close. We shared our first dinner together at the Bahia restaurant just outside the medina. I'm truly looking forward to what tomorrow brings during my first day of orientation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment