Monday, April 1, 2013

The Djaha Family Caravan

10 days. 8 cities. 6 loud, crazy, and most of all, hungry Djahas.

I picked up my family at Mohammed V airport in Casablanca on Friday at 8am and we drove south to Marrakech. It was so good to see my family, hug my parents, and share with them the country and culture that I've fallen so madly in love with. I was lucky enough to be greeted by my parents, brother, grandmother, uncle, and cousin. It has been really hard for me to explain my experience in Morocco to people from home because, although I try to give you all as much personal insight as possible on this blog, words cannot do this place justice. You have to come experience it for yourself, insh'allah.

Marrakech was bustling and quite touristy, but it was an important first stop for my family. We roamed the ancient medina, ate at food stalls in Fna al-Jameea square, visited the various medina palaces, shopped. From Marrakech, we ventured to Ourzazette, the "gateway to the Sahara" and Essaouria, a beach town on the Atlantic coast where Cat Stevens and Jimi Hendrix lived for years. 

After Marrakech, we ventured north to Rabat, which was truly the highlight of the trip for me because I was excited for my two families to combine as one "ayelet kabeer" (one big family). As I knew would happen, the two families hit it off immediately. My host family welcomed my home family with hugs, kisses, and an unbelievable amount of food. Over the course of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, the families spent time together for three meals which consisted of pastries, cookies, olives, soup, yogurt, and of course, couscous. My brothers loved playing with Ben, my real brother, and my cousin Brett. My cousins Zineb, Malak, Marwah and Ali also came. They speak english, so they really loved talking to my mom and hearing about her life. My family brought tons of gifts from America and Colgate to give to the entire family, which they loved so much. Also, on Wednesday night, we took the entire family out to Syrian dinner in Rabat. It was such a big treat for them because they almost never eat out, and it was an especially big treat for Bouchra because she didn't have to cook!
After Rabat, we went to Fez, Meknes and Voubilis. Besides for Rabat, Fez was without a doubt my favorite city in Morocco, one that I will have to return to. The medina was so old, authentic, and special. The people were unbelievably friendly. The crafts were like nothing I've ever seen before. In Meknes we visited the most authentic food market in all of Morocco. In Voubilis, we toured the Roman ruins.

I wanted to keep this short, just as a snap shot of our trip, because like my entire experience in Morocco, words cannot do this trip justice. I am so happy that my family fell in love with Morocco and were able to experience and see the things I loved so much. It made me feel incredibly fulfilled and truly solidified Morocco as my second home, because I was able to share it with my family. 

I already knew I would have to return every year, but now I know I'll have to bring my family along as well...
















2 comments:

  1. this is such a great story unfolding i cant wait to read each new episode had so much fun in Morroco give my love to everyone xoxoxoxo nanny

    ReplyDelete